Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Third week :)

So today's Tuesday and I'm really enjoying things herel. I'm so sad that tomorrow is going to be my last day going to school. I just love my two Art classes. AP Art is so fun because the teacher is really relaxed about what we do. It's not like we have to draw certain things or that we actually have to draw. We're allowed to paint, draw, use oils, and even clay if we want. The teacher is really big on being creative in the class and going along with our own inspiration, not just what she tells us. The other art class is super fun too because she let's me continue on my work from my first period - AP Art. She even asked for my email so she could email me art projects to do in my free time. Today I just started a painting that I hope I finish before I leave.
The teacher cadet program is also fun because the kids are just wonderful. I've been sitting in on my host mother's classroom which is a third grade classroom. I answer the kids questions and help her organize her papers for handing out. It really gives a classroom experience.
Government, Music Tech, and AP Human Geography are also all fun. I love learning about how the government works and about some of the laws. The teacher also talks about some of the news that she hears on the television. It's nice to talk about what's happening out in the real world at the same time. I'd really love to continue taking it if Maumee Valley has it. Music Tech is great because we started a whole new song to learn. I took some time but on the quiz that we took I got a 99%. It isn't bad though considering that I just started the guitar from scratch! We've started working on duet songs. AP Human Geography has really picked up since we've started talking about culture and religion. I really enjoy learning about the other areas of the world and people's different beliefs.
Oh! And I almost forgot to mention about how the weekend went. A friend from school and I went to downtown Charleston.We stopped by the piers and got to see the pineapple fountain. It's a really cool fountain that I saw some of the newscasters standing in front of when I was watching the news.. After that we went to the market which was really fun. I got some more souvenirs and a couple of scarves for myself. Then after getting lost for about half an hour we finally found King St. It's a street fuuuullll of shops and that day - being the 2nd Sunday of the month - the street was closed to cars. So there were people walking on the streets with their dogs and some of the restaurants set up tables outside. Eventually we stopped and had some beef hot-dogs. They were amazing and the guy told us that they were voted to have the best hot-dogs in Charleston three years in a row. After that we had a 30 minute run around the King St. Game where we tried to find the car. Eventually we did and just in time to make it to Boone Hall Plantation. We walked around the plantation and took tons of pictures. It was extremely beautiful!
Oh and I forgot to mention that on Saturday we went to the local Boeing plant. It's a factory where airplanes are made. Not just anybody can get in on a regular bases but that day it was open to volunteers and factory workers and their families. We volunteered but then got to go around some of the plant and it was HUGE! For being an airplane factory though it was extremely nice inside and out. Inside the beams on the ceiling were different colors so it fave this really nice feel to the entire place. A lot of the inside was made of class like MV is and it was really nice.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    I have enjoyed your blog! I hope some of my comments have gotten through to you.

    I think the classes than you and Wendy selected are excellent--Human Geography, AP Art (sounds like a great experience for you) among the others.

    I'm so glad that you went into Charleston more than once. A lovely, old Southern city that is great to know more about. The Plantations weuld be fascinating and I'm sure they are part of the Gullah experience that is a strong program at Pinewood! Also, you are a traveler so I'm sure seeing this historic city is fun.

    I have heard from many of your Pinewood Prep teachers and they very much enjoyed having you in their classes.

    I hope you feel connected to your host family and will have a friendship there.

    Keep in mind as you finish your blog and think about evaluating your experience--what stands out as memorable experiences that have caused you to grow up a bit? Have you changed a little bit with this experience? Were you in some situations that were awkward or times you handled problems or made things work?
    Did you have to adapt to something unexpected?
    How was living with another family and following their rules and expectations?
    How is Pinewood Prep different from MV?

    Pinewood is always generous to MV's students through Network!

    Cheers and I can't wait to talk with you in person.
    Mrs. Koelsch

    ReplyDelete